OUR PARTNERSHIP WITH FAME
We support responsible tourism and want to ensure that the tourism brought to Tanzania by safari holidays can benefit the wider community.
We are proud to support the Foundation for African Medicine and Education (FAME) and have committed to donating 5% of our profits to them, as well as raising awareness of their work. We also offer tours of their outpatient clinic in Karatu, near Lake Manyara National Park and Ngorongoro Conservation Area.
FAME advances patient-centred healthcare in one of the most under-resourced areas of northern Tanzania. They aspire to build healthier communities, where individuals from all walks of life have access to quality medical care and frontline healthcare workers are equipped with the resources they need to treat disease and save lives.
Central to FAME’s mission is to empower its Tanzanian medical staff with the knowledge, skills and resources necessary to serve their patients well. This entails on-campus continuing education, distance learning opportunities and a small scholarship program that allows select medical staff to further their education at medical institutions within Tanzania and abroad.
If you are interested in visiting FAME's inpatient hospital in Karatu, we can organise tours of the facility for you.
Located close to Lake Manyara and Ngorongoro Crater, this visit can easily be incorporated into a safari itinerary. Alternatively, we can also arrange day trips to visit the hospital.
FAME do not charge for hospital tours but there will be an opportunity to make a donation during your visit if you wish to. There is no expectation or obligation for you to make a donation and it will not affect your visit if you choose not to donate.
If you are interested in visiting FAME as part of your safari, or as a day trip, you can let us know using our contact form.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
- 5% of the profit from your safari or day trip with iTravel is donated to FAME, to support the work they are doing for the northern Tanzanian community.
- You can make a donation to FAME using the 'Make a Donation' buttons on this page, or by visiting the FAME website.
- Visit the inpatient hospital in Karatu to see first-hand the difference FAME are making to healthcare in Tanzania.
- Tell your friends! Spread the word about the good work FAME are doing in Tanzania and how they can help.
iTravel Director Freddy with FAME
Co-Founder and Co-Director, Susan Gustafson.
- Started in 2005 as a mobile clinic
- Now includes a hospital, laboratory, outpatient clinic and maternity centre.
- Serves over 25,000 patients a year
- Recruits up to 37 overseas specialist doctors and nurses annually to mentor and learn from Tanzanian medical staff.
FAME ON SOCIAL MEDIA